I am simply delighted to share Catherine Denton of Winged Writer with you today! Her beautiful artwork was featured in the Bliss Habits post How to Reclaim Your Moxie and when I mentioned that I was having a little celebration she generously jumped in offering a beautiful print (feast your eyes below) for a giveaway and writing an incredibly useful post on one of the trickiest habits.
First let’s hear her tips on order and then we’ll get to the giveaway! Take it away Catherine!
I’m not a naturally organized person at ALL. But I am a creature of habit, and over the years I’ve learned how to order my days with a few simple tricks.
1. Get motivated by something you love. I tried desperately get into a walking routine, but couldn’t stay in the habit. Then I set up my treadmill where I could see the television and decided that while I walked, and only then, could I watch Rachael Ray. That stuck. If I don’t walk, I don’t watch. I also hate getting up early but love reading many wonderful blogs. So I set aside time before my family wakes for blogging time. Because it’s something I love to do, I’m motivated to get out of bed early; and after having time to browse, it’s easier to stay focused elsewhere during the day.
2. Attach whatever needs to become a habit with something that’s already a habit. When my doctor started me on Thyroid medicine, I kept forgetting to take it. So I paired it with brushing my teeth. I always brush my teeth first thing in the morning because I can’t stand that yucky feeling in my mouth. I decided not to allow brushing until after I’d taken the pill. Taking my medicine quickly became a habit! Ha.
3. Use both hands. Keeping my bathroom clean has always been a struggle for me, but Flylady taught me to Windex the bathroom while getting ready in the morning. I decided to do it even faster by using both hands the entire time. For instance, while I’m brushing my teeth with one hand, I use the other to put things away from the counter.
4. Never leave a room empty-handed. My dad, who was a Time Studies Analyst, said the best time-saving tip is to never go through the house empty-handed. Pick up something to put away from the room you leave; then bring something back to put up when you return.
5. Turn up the music. This may sound silly and unrelated, but I’ve found it works miracles. When I have an upbeat song playing around me, I work much harder and get tasks finished in half the time. I love fun, motivating music and my kids do too!
These simple tips have made a huge impact on ordering my life and home. I hope they’re helpful to you!
Catherine Denton is a writer, mixed-media artist and self-proclaimed “messy”. You can meet her at www.wingedwriter.blogspot.com where you’ll find inspiration for creative living; at www.artworkbycatherine.etsy.com where you can browse her whimsical paintings, or on twitter @CatherineDenton where she loves to chat.
Thank you so much for that Catherine! I love that habit pairing idea. I have vitamins I just never seem to take!! I’m also fascinated by your dad being a Time Studies Analyst. It immediately makes me think of Cheaper by the Dozen, in which the father of that story had his family go through a bunch of time management experiments!
Thank you too for generously jumping in to participate in the blogversary-apolooza!
Now on to your giveaway:
How to win “Love is Owl You Need“
1. In the comments below tell us what Order tip you are using or are going to try.
2. In a separate comment tell Catherine why you’d like to win.
3. Stop by Catherine’s blog and leave a comment on Summer Manifesto, perhaps something you’d like on your own!.
4. Tweet the following:
I entered to win a gorgeous mixed media print by @CatherineDenton in @BlissHabits Blogversary #apolooza http://bit.ly/KTBrgO
Do all four and you have four chances to win!
Winner will be selected at random from all entries received by Saturday, June 2, 2012
We have a winner! Congratulations Amy!!
Check out the complete Blogversary-apolooza giveaway list and learn how you can double your chances!!