This post is part four of a six part series on how this blog was started.
Before I even begin today’s post I must tell you that Dictionary.com rocks! I used a variety of dictionary sites as well as wikipedia when doing my research but time after time Dictionary.com had what felt to be the most blissful definitions. The synonyms section is particularly thorough but even the standard listings provided more nuance and depth then other sites. If you are interested in conducting your own inquiry or if you just want to know what a word means then Dictionary.com is the place to go!
So here are the definitions I have chosen for my 13 Virtues of Bliss:
1. JOY – A source or cause of keen pleasure or delight; something exceptionally festive or satisfying.
2. ORDER – Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.*
3. CREATIVITY – The ability to transcend traditional ideas, rules, patterns, relationships, or the like, and to create meaningful new ideas, forms, methods, interpretations, etc.
4. PASSION – a fervent or extravagant fondness, enthusiasm, or desire for anything; experience of strong love or sexual desire.
5. WHIMSY – extravagant, fanciful, or excessively playful expression; an odd or fanciful notion.
6. SERENITY – the state or quality of being serene, calm, or tranquil; composure, peacefulness, peace.
7. INQUIRY – a seeking or request for truth, information, or knowledge; study, scrutiny, exploration.
8. COMMUNITY – Sharing, participation, and fellowship.
9. ROMANCE – To court or woo romantically; treat with ardor or chivalrousness; a strong fascination or enthusiasm for something.
10. GRATITUDE – warmly or deeply appreciative of kindness or benefits received; very thankful.
11. MOXIE – The ability to face difficulty with spirit and courage; vigor; verve; pep.
12. HUMILITY – The quality or condition of being humble; imitate Jesus and Socrates.*
13. SURPRISE – A sudden feeling of wonder or astonishment; to come upon or discover suddenly and unexpectedly.
* = Taken directly from Ben Franklin’s virtues.
I am expecting that I may tweak my virtues’ definitions and I also welcome suggestions from you. This entire game is a work in progress so I welcome your feedback at anytime.
Next Part Five: How to play the game