Even contemplating nourishment is nourishing. So without diverging from this path with a lengthy introduction, let’s dive right in.
Nourishment is the intersection of
survival + indulgence.
They are the practices that we do that sustain our body, as well as our mind and spirit. To nourish one’s self is to do what is necessary to keep the self healthy and alive, but also to soak in those practices that make us FEEL alive.
Why are we here? We exist not to pursue happiness, which is fleeting, or outer accomplishment, which can always be bettered. We are here to nourish the self.
One of the most fantastic things about nourishment is that it is a practice that can be – that is MEANT to be – incorporated into daily life.
Ah, the magic of mundane nourishment!
Here are just a few practices you can try:
- In the shower, use a natural soap that delights your nose and lathers luxuriously on your skin. Begin your day uplifted.
- Find a flavor of chocolate that you LOVE. Break it into tiny pieces. Place one on your breakfast and dinner plates, and spend 5 minutes – yes, the whole 5 minutes – seeing, smelling, and slooowwwlly tasting that one little piece.
- Have a favorite song? Put it on today while you are doing dishes or tomorrow morning before you shower. Go ahead – dance a little…
- Prepare / Eat the healthy lunch instead of the quick one. Nourishment isn’t always about momentary comfort, but is about long-term wellbeing. Healthy foods make us feel delicious.
- Practice yoga. There are hundreds of ways to do this. Even a bit of stretching while you turn your awareness towards your inner body and breath can do a world of good.
- Meditate. In busy schedules, this truly can feel like indulgence. But it honestly is nourishment – it helps the mind and body feel and flow better.
- Walk gently. We move between many places each day. Treat these moments with tenderness.
As a bonus, I’ve created a piece of art that you can download as your desktop wallpaper – a reminder each time you jump on the computer to NOURISH YOURSELF!
You can download this image and read more about its creation (and how the process itself was a form of nourishment) over at BeingBreath – http://www.beingbreath.com/
There are multitudes of nourishment practices. I’d love to learn – do you have one that you practice (or intend to)? Please share in the comments!
Let’s all take one, full, delicious inhale and exhale together RIGHT NOW….
….. and nourish ourselves in this moment.
About Lisa Renee Wilson
I am honored to be your host for this journey! I am an Awareness Artist who shares her world work through Being Breath (www.BeingBreath.com). As a parent, artist, contemplative, meditator, yoga practitioner, introvert, runner, blogger, photographer, and iced-chai addict, I practice the art of mindful awareness throughout all of my daily activities. From playing with perspectives to playing in paint, no moments are off limits for exploration.